Friday, November 4, 2022

"Satellite of Love" by Milla Jovovich

 


I was sitting in my dorm room studying for finals when I received a call.

"I GOT TICKETS TO SEE MILLA!," my sister shouted into the phone, referring to Kyiv, Ukraine born singer and actress Milla Jovovich.

"That's great, Jamie!," I said, trying to match her enthusiasm, though all I knew of Milla was her starring role in "The Fifth Element," a movie that's a literal rucksack of sweaty armpits.

"She's opening for toad the wet sprocket.  You like them, don't you?"

"I do!," came my reply.

"Be right there!"  And the line went dead.

The story was that one of Jamie's college friends had planned to go to the show, but wound up sick or in prison or something, and had to surrender their ticket.

Knowing my sister, this was likely a little fib, and she knew that I was a humungoid ttws fan, and she planned on taking me all along.

"Be right there" entailed driving from East Falls to Temple's campus in North Philly and then down to Center City, fighting traffic like a salmon swimming upstream the entire way.

By the time we parked near Drexel and entered the venue, Milla was finishing up her last two songs.

This is textbook Jamie.  Sacrificing seeing a show she had been eagerly anticipating in order to show her little bro a good time.

In the near three decades since, I've attended hundreds more concerts, but toad the wet sprocket at The Armory remains one of my absolute favorites.

The cover of the day is Milla's version of Lou Reed's 1972 glam rock single "Satellite of Love," for Jamie on her birthday.

Hope it's the best one yet, girl.  You deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment