Thursday, September 14, 2023

"Big Time" by Randy Newman

 


I have Jenny Jam Onit to thank (or not) for letting me know that chief Disney/Pixar film composer Randy Newman covered "Big Time," the 1986 funk rock smash from Surrey. UK art rock singer/songwriter Peter Gabriel.

Based on the cover art, the song was likely the lead single from Newman's album "Homosexual Narwhal Phallus."

I will do all within my power to get "narwhal phallus" into everyday vernacular as an adjective, meaning "not very pleasant at all."

And, this cover (the song, not the artwork.  That's... fine), for me, is the epitome of narwhal phallus.

For Peter Gabriel covers that aren't narwhal phallus, check out Lowland Hum's version of "Sledgehammer" here, or Bon Iver's version of "Come Talk to Me" here, or Reina Del Cid's version of "Solsbury Hill" here.


No comments:

Post a Comment