Tuesday, April 26, 2022

"The Luckiest" by Sara Gazarek

 


A few months before our wedding, Jess told me that I should think about the message that I wanted to have inscribed in her ring.

This tradition was news to me, but I knew exactly what I wanted etched in hers.

"I am the luckiest."

Turns out, she had the exact four words engraved in mine.

Sara Gazarek has a beautiful voice, no doubt.

Perhaps it's a bit TOO beautiful, as she finds the need to sing a bunch of gibberish garbage at the beginning, which sounds kind of like "Bums ate toothpaaaaaaste!  Balloons, they float in my Cheerios..."

Like, what?

Maybe you don't feel that Sara scatting jazz style vocals ruins a perfectly fine Ben Folds song, and you're entitled to your completely wrong opinion.

To me, singing nonsense just to hear your own voice is similar to putting anchovies on a pizza.  Nobody wants your saline strips of awful sabotaging their Papa Johns delivery, Ken.

All in all, though, it's still a beautiful song.

And, after 14 years, if I were to get my wife's ring inscribed again, it would say 

"I am still the luckiest."

Unless they charge by the word.  Then, "I am the luckiest" is fine.  We have a car payment.  Jeez.

Happy anniversary, Jessi.  I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you.




No comments:

Post a Comment